04 February 2007

The start of the Hansa II season

I have gone back to my soccer roots (haha). Humphrey's intramural soccer team (actually there are two since there are so many people that want to play) faced off for the first time this Sunday, Hansa I played at 4:15, followed my Hansa II at 5:15. We play at the field house at the U and play with a soft, tennis ball-like soccer ball. The cool thing about this form of soccer is that there is no such thing as offsides, although you have to worship the whistle (they got really pissy about anyone not following the shriek of the whistle). Also the game is only two 23-minute periods, which is much more conducive to our school-kid schedules. We don't practice at all aside from game day because the team tends to have different people a lot due to regular players having other commitments and therefore bringing in subs and due to its fun nature.

In my former life as a soccer star (again, hahaha), I played primarily defense and midfielder, which is what I play now. I knew that all of the running would be a major challenge for me given that I haven't actually ran any distance for over six months now. My lungs were giving me the big f*&% you, but I decided not to listen, until they forced me to listen. When I was working out all of the time, I had my lungs trained and therefore had my asthma under control. Hopefully it will get better though; I'm counting on it.

It was a good time to be out there again, and realize how not playing since grade school really affects my level of playing now. It's a really interesting emotion when you think you are passing to the teammate to your left, and the ball ends up going out of bounds given your major miscalculation. Yes I know Mom: practice makes perfect. But to be honest, I'm not in it for the glory this time. I will give it my best when I'm out there, and that's good enough for me. I'm all about trying not to pass out :)