07 February 2007

I tackled the crack

That just sounds bad...

Anyway, what I meant is that I started learning how to crack climb. Instead of using your fingers, you make jams out of your hands - essentially wedging your hand in and squeezing. It's surprising how strong those holds are. It did start to hurt after a bit because the crack that I was attempting was on the natural wall meaning that it is meant to simulate real rock and is therefore very rough. It was exhilarating! I got more than halfway up (I cheated with my feet though by using the various hand holds). The next part is curved up towards the left meaning that I have to stick my entire arm in the crack and use it as a brace. I will attempt that on Saturday I think. Until then, I will daydream about it...

No comments: