After this weekend's emotional rollercoaster, I'm feeling better. I don't feel stressed out anymore (which was the major issue last week) and I feel like we can manage everything now. I knew that having a dog would change things, but I never expected to need transition time (naive I know). I grew up with a dog, even though it was Daddy's girl.
It seems like Banjo's settling in more. Chris and I have been working on trying to desensitize him from us leaving. We've also been trying different yummy stuff to get him excited about us leaving and we've started closing certain shades so he doesn't get as rattled by squirrels or people walking by. I got a few more books by Patricia McConnell, one specifically for separation anxiety which I devoured as soon as it arrived (I got a migraine last night that carried on through today so I was around all day). Banjo really liked me staying home - he didn't even flinch when Chris left and he basically slept all day.
Anyway, I was excited to see Harley sniff Banjo just a little bit without jumping back, so hopefully that means he's getting just a tad bit more used to him. I'm greatly looking forward to the day when both of them can freely hang out in the apartment together. Speaking of which, Banjo is a resource guarder - he will growl if he sees another dog even thinking about sniffing his food dish and he's growled at us for trying to take really great treats or toys from him (we won). I think I'm going to call The K9 Coach soon who have worked with Banjo's families before.
21 April 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
yay! i think it's always an adjustment. we had murphy from a puppy, and there were definitely trying times... and he wasn't set into any patterns yet! so props to you both for working so much with banjo to bring him successfully into your lives :)
looking forward to you all coming over soon! fun to see you sunday.
Post a Comment