17 April 2009

Stressed out, but hopefully dealing with it

Banjo has separation anxiety. I wouldn't be stressed about it if either he wasn't so loud of a howler or if we didn't have immediate neighbors. No one has complained yet, and we made sure to give everyone all of our numbers in case there was an issue. We've made it very easy to contact us about anything. He loves the long walks in the morning, although that little stinker has actually gone back to bed the past two mornings until I got him out of bed with a treat. Once he gets on the leash, he realizes we're going outside and he starts waking up.

I have truly been enjoying our long walks in the morning. When I say long, I mean about 45 minutes and usually it's a walk/jog. I may stop enjoying them once it starts raining and I have to take him out, but for now, I'm soaking it up. I've also liked walking him before bed because I really like the smell at night.

So the reason I'm stressed is because I don't know that I can learn enough about how to training him (and us) and get him over the separation anxiety before people start complaining. After finishing this post, we're going to do some exercises with him. I've been reading several articles and the recommended books about positive training and being a pack leader. We will work a lot with Banjo this weekend to hopefully make next week go more smoothly. The good thing is that Banjo how has several distinct barks, not just howling. I think that suggests he's settling in and understanding our routine a bit more.

No comments: