20 May 2007

Christopher Moore, Comedic Genius

In an effort to keep some sanity over the last part of the week, I was reading Christopher Moore's first book Practical Demonkeeping. If you are unfamiliar with the author as I was when I read his Christmas classic The Stupidest Angel, all you have to know is that he is crazy hilarious. His twisted novels are the kind of books you read when you feel particularly silly or have had a really bad day, or any kind of day in between.

I really hesitate to provide a synopsis because it's one of those books that you just have to read for yourself. If you have even the slightest twisted sense of humor, you will find the books funny. Ok, I know you're dying to at least get a glimpse, and here is one of my favorite parts:

The demon had been wired since he had eaten the hitchhiker the night before. The guy must have been on cocaine or speed. Why did drugs affect the demon when poisons did not phase him? It was a mystery.

The demon tapped Travis on the shoulder with a long reptilian claw. "I want to ride on the hood," he said. His voice was like rusty rails rattling in a can.

"Enjoy," Travis said, waving across the dashboard.

The demon climbed out the window and across the front, where he perched like a hood ornament from hell, his forked tongue flying in the wind like a storm-swept pennon, spattering the windshield with saliva. Travis turned on the wipers and was grateful to find that the Chevy was equipped with an interval delay feature.

Ha ha ha...I enjoyed the book a lot, and have several of his other books to read, including Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. I am excited :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, do Dad and I get to read them when you are finished? Did you purchase them? Love Mom