31 January 2007

Tricky little buggers

So I saw this article on the Washington Post's website today saying that Bush is planning on cutting farm subsidies by $4.5 billion over the next 10 years which will affect an estimated 80,000 wealthy families that are enjoying the current loopholes in the system. Yep, it's not the small-town farmers that are receiving the greatest benefits from the system.

I emailed one of my professors the article and asked his opinion and this was his response:

The reduction in the "agricultural" subsidies will probably be more than offset by the ethanol subsidies! Those farmers are pretty clever guys, but a rose by any other name is still a rose!

The end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its sad that every farmer I know had to work a 40+ hour a week job besides the long farm hours. Then the subsidies they did get never offset the low prices their goods brought. The money made from milk was made from the processers,the farmers barely made enough to cover production costs. The subsidy is as big a joke as the breaks the government gave big oil.