21 January 2007

and my muscles are spent

A small group of us went rock climbing at Vertical Endeavors this morning, and my muscles hadn't recovered from the last time. Chris, his sister Kim, the Klinkers, and I were laughing our way up the routes - it was a very good time. Kim encouraged me to try a couple of different routes, including one of her favorites in which there is a move that you have to literally jump for and try to hold on. I didn't get it this time, but I'm looking forward to trying it again soon. Also Chris had me try the natural wall, which originally I thought would be a lot easier because I could decide where to place my hands and feet. No surprise though that it is difficult to determine where those good places are; yet another project. The route that I am really looking forward to completing is one in which there is a tricky move that involves careful maneuvering; I think I know the technique that I have to use, so now I just have to do it.

Rock climbing is simply awesome. It is both physically and mentally challenging (most so the latter). The feeling of accomplishment whenever you finish a route is the best, especially finishing one cleanly. I'm really looking forward to climbing outside, but I'll continue getting my butt kicked indoors for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is really kind of neat! It is almost like reading your journal (ha ha). Sounds like you have found a sport you really enjoy - no problems with Asthma? I don't like the sound of outside climbing.