27 January 2007
Doha trade talks are set to resume
I was unsure that it could be done, but the Doha round of trade negotiations are going to resume after stalling last July due to disputes over agricultural subsidies and import tariffs. It is unclear if there has been any advances, and it is likely that agricultural policies will continue to be the greatest stumbling block. I am really curious to see how the United States and Europe respond to these challenges. The industrialized countries want access to more markets and the developing countries want to not be priced out of the markets in those industrialized markets. Who will give the concessions? The President loses fast-track authority this July, so the pressure is on to reach an agreement. I am really hoping that the developing countries stick to their guns and insist on lowered subsidies.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So the question is - will the Farm bill be done before or after the negotiations over Doha?
And which will drive?
Post a Comment