23 January 2007

Another case against U.S. agricultural subsidies

I know that this story is a bit dated now, but as I was going through the several articles that I have starred in my Google Reader, I saw this little gem: "Canada launches WTO case on US subsidies." The article was published on the Financial Times website describing the case that Canada has brought against the US, attacking specifically the corn subsidies provided in this country.

I think it's time that the US was held accountable for its trade distorting agricultural subsidies, which is probably to the dismay of some of my family members. I thought it was wonderful when Brazil won its case against US cotton subsidies. I feel that given the fact that the US agricultural industry only accounts for less than 1 percent of both GDP contributions and the labor force as well as the fact that the corporate farmers are the ones who most benefit from the subsidies that the US should phase out the subsidies and force the corporate farmers to be competitive in the global markets. I realize, however, that this is highly unlikely given the fact that the Bush administration wants us to start using more ethanol and I'm sure that we would rather "support" our domestic industry rather than importing the needed agricultural products.

Good luck you Canadian hosers.

No comments: