05 March 2008

Wo-blam!

All of a sudden, I've been getting socked with projects at work, some are simple but time-consuming, others are difficult and time-consuming. I've been having a very difficult time lately with getting control of my stress. Mentally, I can tell myself to breath, take things one step at a time blah blah blah, but my body is won't listen. I'm working on it though, and I think that by the time I retire, I will have better strategies for dealing with work-related stress :)

This week is a big week for me because of departmental meetings about the project I've been working on since I started as an intern. It's a good chance for me to practice speaking in front of people (who are primarily department heads) and it has been extremely interesting hearing their feedback on my work. Many of them simply do not know enough detailed history to really give me definitive feedback, but it is interesting to hear what sorts of questions they have. It has also been an opportunity for me to see how much I don't yet understand about the politics of the budget. The reason I say that is because my boss has fielded a number of questions to which great care has to be undertaken to answer them.

The whole purpose of these meetings were to educate affected departments, to get their support, and to keep the lines of communication open. I think we accomplished those things so far. Also it has been an opportunity for all of us to begin formulating how we are going to present the final draft to Council on the 17th. I still haven't decided if I want to participate in that presentation (I would most likely be presenting with the CFO of the City - tough act to follow!) On the one hand, I realize it would be a great time to practice my public speaking skills (on live television mind you), but on the other, I think that I may not be ready to take that plunge just yet. Even without cameras I tend to blush heavily and get a bad case of dry mouth. I did quite well presenting to department heads; I might leave it at that for now.

In other news, Chris and I are looking forward to heading up to our friends' cabin this weekend. It will be a good chance to relax and have some fun.

Oh! And in other more exciting news, I climbed a 5.10d/c clean when we were at the climbing gym Monday. That's the most difficult climb I've gotten clean yet! There's another really fun one that I worked on a while ago - I really want someone to get a picture of me doing one of the moves (I can't really describe it, but I think it would look cool).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most of us who speak in front of people are terrified when we do it. The key is to do it anyway. It does not really get better...but you do get used to it.

Anonymous said...

I think daddyman is right - I know you would do a great job! You have the ability and skills to do anything you put your mind to. Get out there and get recognized. Love Mom