10 March 2008

Failure

Last night, while lying in bed, I starting thinking about the thing that I've been thinking about for a few weeks: I should cancel my gym membership. I simply haven't gone much. I have little desire to, plain and simple. It's not that I don't want to work out period, it's more that I haven't found something that works for me.

When I signed up for the membership at the beginning of this year, I was thinking back to when first moved to Champlin and used to go about 5-6 times per week. The main motivator there was that (1) I had someone to go with that enjoyed the same classes and (2) I didn't have much else to occupy my time. Now I find it difficult to want to drive anywhere besides errands, and the time makes me not want to go at all.

What I really want to do is start biking again, but the temperatures haven't gotten to where I would like them to be, and I certainly don't want to bring a nasty dirty bike back into the living room. It feels like I'm in a slump. I love going climbing and I like the little bit of walking that I do get when catching the bus (which is really only a few blocks) or walking to the bakery.

I know what I need to do: I need to come up with a way to start off small, to get myself going, motivated, and getting myself used to a routine. Right now, I think I should try getting myself in the routine of going on walks around the neighborhood. Of course saying something and doing something are two different things. I need to find something that works for me, and I need to stop feeling like I've failed because ultimately I'll be saving money and I'll stop thinking of reasons why I don't want to drive all the way to the gym.

3 comments:

Christopher Mitchell said...

Happy Birthday! you should take a birthday walk!

Kimmi said...

You're not a failure - the gym doesn't work for a lot of people. And if you aren't using it, it isn't cost efficient. If you want to run, and its crappy you can always do it at the climbing gym. Weights? You can get free weights from Play It Again Sports for much cheaper - and you can walk to it. Yoga? Get a video. There's all kinds of ways to stay active. You can have Harley anytime you want to take a walk, he'd love it and he hasn't sprinkled the trees in your neighborhood lately.
You'll find a way to make it work, and maybe even save a bunch of bucks in the process. BONUS!

Anonymous said...

Get into a routine! You need some workout buddies that won’t let you slack!

Signed your previous workout buddy.