30 March 2008

"I have to go lie down"

As some of you may have read on Chris's blog, he's all of a sudden become holier. When he was about to go into the shower the morning after getting ice cream scooped and sewn back up, he asked that I help him take the band-aids off of his back. I start peeling off the top one, and given that I haven't seen stitches for a LONG time, it was weird seeing them on his back. Seeing those made me feel extremely bad for Chris for having to go through it. The second band-aid came off, and then the third.

I became suspicious when the third band-aid was a deep red color, but I thought it might have been because of the fact that a needle had passed through his skin several times. I was wrong. Staring back at me, at eye level, was a small "divot" (as Chris called them) which was a pit of oozy-looking blood, and the stitches were lying about haphazardly.

"It's not supposed to be like that," I said to Chris, with the horror creeping in on my expression. He tried to see it in the mirror as my vision became dark and fuzzy. "I have to go lie down," I said, just barely stumbling out of the bathroom. My life was full of green faces, sweat, and dark, fuzzy vision for the next five minutes or so. All I could think about (besides keeping last night's dinner in my stomach) was how horrible I felt for Chris because not only did he have to deal with my impression of the Green Giant stumbling and falling over, he had to deal with the fact that he would have to go in to get stitched up again.

Then he said something that made me cringe: "You know you're going to have to put another band-aid over that." SHIT. That's all that came to mind. SHIT. I tried so hard to pull myself together and go back in there to face it, but my eyes and the rest of my body decided I couldn't handle it. Luckily, Chris found a way to cover the pit in his back up, and I recovered shortly thereafter.

The funniest thing about this story was that I have seen way worse things. I have seen a guy after a drunken accident on a motorcycle with the bone sticking through his calf, and I wanted to get closer! I've seen bone popping through the forearm of a kid at a high school basketball game. But apparently these experiences could not prepare me for the site of Chris's pit. Go figure. I have to say that I laughed the rest of the day about it, and I couldn't wait to tell my dad.

1 comment:

Christopher Mitchell said...

We'll have to see if that happens at other times. Or maybe we could build up your immunity with smaller scratches and such. I'll see if I can fall off my bike sometime in the next couple of weeks.