15 March 2008

My newest pride and joy

With spring right around the corner (or the spring that is upon us, depending on the day), I started looking around for a road bike. I had been planning to get one for some time, and now seemed like as good a time as any. I started my search at Erik's off 494. The clerk showed me some good ones, but a little out of my price range. I next tried the Boehm's just down from us, but they are going through a remodel and I was told it would be too difficult for them to bring bikes up from the basement where they're currently being held.

So after talking to Kim through Chris, it was recommended that we try out the Erik's in Roseville. Before climbing tonight, we headed up there. The staff was very helpful, even though without knowing it, I walked in 15 minutes before they closed (they insisted on helping me though saying it was no problem). I ended up finding one that was similar to the ones I tried out at the other Erik's, only less expensive (because it's the Sirrus Base model, whereas the others were the Sirrus Comp and the Sirrus Sport).

I am extremely excited about getting a longer ride that a trip around the parking lot. We're planning on doing the Ironman bike ride on April 27 (we're planning on doing the 100-mile ride if the weather's ok). This bike will definitely be better to take on long rides. Here's a picture:


I can't believe how much lighter it is than my mountain bike. I've also ordered a rack for the back so that I won't have to have my bag slung across my back anymore; I'll be able to carry all my stuff in the bag that goes on the rack! I got clips so I'll just have to get shoes soon to go with it. I got the pedals like Chris has where it's the clip on one side and a platform on the other.

I love its sleek black color. A kind of funny back story to this is that at the first Erik's we went to, the clerk started by showing me a white bike with pink shit all over it, and then he showed me one with butterflies on it. Eventually we told him that I'm not into all the girly colors and designs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cooool Black…
Two water holders!
But wy is there a spring on the seat?

Christopher Mitchell said...

Ze spring is for ze butt. The road bikes do not have shocks and every bump reverberates through the frame, so the springy seat helps your bottom.

My bike has no spring, my bottom is jealous...