04 November 2009

My adventure with migraines

As you already know, I am suffer from migraines. I have been working with my doctor to try a few different drugs, and I seem to have found a combination that works (one pill takes away the pain while the other takes away my urge to throw up). The side effect of this combination: I feel like I'm buzzed. Today was the first time I had taken both pills together and that was a very weird feeling. The best analogy I have is that I felt like I had had a couple of drinks.

I already found that when the migraine starts and I can take two of the pain pills in a two-hour time span, I get VERY drowsy. I feel asleep on the couch last night really early and was in a deep sleep the entire evening. Chris woke me up to go to bed (hee hee - sounds familiar right Mom and Dad?). When I woke up this morning, I took the pain pill and the nausea pill at the same time and got a little drowsy again, but mostly buzzed.

I overall consider this combination a success and will continue to use both. I am going to hold a two-month experiment soon - I'm going to get off the pill (and use other birth control methods!!!) and see if the frequency of my migraines are fewer or less severe. My doctor assured me that I only needed to do it for two months to see if there's a difference. If I find the frequency is reduced, I will likely switch birth control methods (use ones that don't include estrogen).

Migraines suck.