05 May 2009

You're stuck with us now!!!

It's official: Banjo is now ours. We sent in the adoption fee today. It feels good :) To celebrate, Banjo stole my sock as soon as I took it off. I'm excited too Banjo!

On a different note, Chris and I are looking more at houses. We started up again once we saw a house about a block away from us drop $60k in price. We are now working with a realtor that our friends highly recommended and we're shopping around for mortgages. We're trying to find more than one person who is well versed in HUD's 203k program, which is a program that allows you to mortgage up to $35k above the price for major repairs. Given our income levels, we're definitely looking at a place that will likely be in need of major repairs. We were recommended someone from our realtor, but I'm unsure if she works with the local programs available in Saint Paul or from the state.

It's interesting to think about having house someday. I thought it was going to be more than a couple years, but now it seems like we're going to try to find a place this year. Gotta take advantage of the tax incentive and low interest rates, right? It's a bit scary to think about truly being an adult. First getting engaged, then getting a dog and the responsibilities that come with that, then thinking about a house. We are still in the we're-planning-to-plan-someday phase of the wedding plans. We are thinking that we may shoot for a ceremony next year, but stay tuned for that one.

2 comments:

daddYman said...

Welcome to adultery.

Unknown said...

Make sure you also look into FHA mortgages - you can put down as little as 3% and the rates are great!