After three days of mega overtime (like the 12 hours I put in yesterday alone) in preparation of the budget document, I felt complete burnout by 5:30 today. When I get the feeling like I'm going to kill someone, I usually decide that it's better to take a break than to involve the police. I got to the point where there was a distinct possibility that I was going to snap at co-workers over little things that don't matter.
I caught the 5:30 bus home, and was lucky enough to catch Chris before he headed down to his parents to take care of the dogs. All I really needed after feeling anxious and stressed was a hug from Chris, and I felt so much better!
I still had a lot of nervous energy though. And when I have that kind of nervous energy, all I can think of to do is organize. Seriously. Earlier in the week, I completely went through all of my old records and reorganized and got rid of things I didn't need anymore. A couple of nights ago, I decided to clean out a three-drawer storage unit for my knitting supplies. Tonight, I reorganized my book shelf. I'm unstoppable!
I really don't understand how people like my boss can work for 50-60 hours (guessitmate) per week and have two small children. I asked her about it one day and she said she frequently has to neglect her family. After just three days, I am very much looking forward to going back to having less immediate tasks and less responsibility. Maybe I'll change my mind about this after a few years, but I happen to love only having to work 40 hours. There's free time! I almost forgot what that was when I was in school...
Anyway, I'm hanging in there. Hopefully all of this will be over on Tuesday, fingers crossed.
07 August 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Good luck! I agree with you; 40 hours should be plenty! I don't think anyone should ever be in a situation where you need to neglect your family; family should come first.
Family may have to come first by being able to feed them! And I like to be fed! Lots!
If only you lived with someone who is constantly in need with organizing help... I guess I have to get my stuff into enough order that you can start to organize it. I'm close, I promise!
Don't lose sight of your goals. Everything you have experienced up until this point helps you choose your priorities now and for your future. Priorities change depending on your own personal life experiences, as does your boss's who chooses to put that time into her work day. It doesn't make anyone less noble or wrong in their choices because their priorities are different than yours. Dangle a carrot ahead of you when you are working those long hours. Think about the next trip you are able to take because you have a job that gives your mind a challenge & money with benefits too! You can get thru any negative situation if you think of it as a temporary hardship. Next week or month may bring you a more comfortable environment. BTW... shadoweyes said eloquently in few words .... priorities are fulfilled in different ways for different circumstances.
Post a Comment