Has anyone else had the experience of just getting out of school and wondering what the hell their next step in life would be? This is something I've never experienced before: I'm not working towards a specific goal with a specific timeline. It has always been graduate. Then when I graduated and got a job, I'm asking myself, now what?
It's a weird feeling. I've made several short-term goals like paying my parents back for the money they lent me to go to Peru (thanks again!) and now saving for LASIK (assuming I'm a candidate), but those are both financial goals. I think after LASIK (again, if it happens), I'm going to start saving for a down payment. I really want to get a dog, but I can't justify having one in our apartment since we don't have a backyard with grass for it to play in. Oh, and there's the part in our lease that says no pets (even those half of the tenants have pets).
I have my hobbies, but I'm not really working towards anything in particular besides wanting to make myself a sweater eventually and to learn how to knit Fair Isle. I really don't have any major career plans at this point because in my department, there are really only three positions: financial analyst, budget coordinator, and budget director. There's a major time commitment increase between financial analyst and budget coordinator, not to mention the increased stress. I want to continue to enjoy my free time.
I'm officially a girl without a plan, mostly.
26 August 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That is not necessarily a bad thing - short term. Enjoy your youth.
Perhaps it is good you don't have to have goals like "escape from credit card debt" or "pay off Lenny before he collects knee caps" (not what happened to my knee, I swear...
What about a goal like "Gonna kneecap Chris if he doesn't do the dishes" or "Trying one new activity a month" Or "Brushing out Harley's mangled hair" - ok...that may actually be one of my goals...bit still I can share :)
Post a Comment