12 July 2008

Coming to a close

We only have about nine more hours in the Pacific Northwest before flying back home. I have to say that even though I've been having a really good time out here, I am looking forward to being home.

Yesterday while Chris was at his meeting, Brent and I hung out around the Pike Place Market. That is the market that houses that crazy fish stand where the guys throw the fish back and forth to one another while they're wrapping up someone's order. There's always a crowd around them. After Chris got back, we headed out to a Thai restaurant that apparently Brent has taken Chris a few times. With stomachs full, we went back to Brent's for a while and packed up for an overnight trip.

We met Adam and Ildiko and camped overnight at Camano Island, which is about an hour north of Seattle. It was a very interesting night including people at different camp sites shouting at one another and a couple of kids trying to cut down a big pine tree (all of which I slept through). Unfortunately Chris woke up with the beginnings of a horrible migraine that pretty much put him out of commission. While he tried to relax in the tent, the rest of us walked down to the beach and watched the dogs play fetch.

Adam and Ildiko have two dogs: Jackson (a border collie/lab mix) and Omar (a Kelpie). Jackson absolutely loves the water - once he gets in, he doesn't want to come back out. Omar is a little bit more leery of the water given a not-so-pleasant experience when he was a bit younger. So the way they played fetch was that Adam threw a stick out in the water and Jackson would swim for it and bring it back to about five feet from shore where Omar would be waiting for the handoff. Omar then brought it back to Adam. It was so funny to watch!

Now we're back at Brent's place where we'll hang out until our flight which takes off at 12:25am (ouch). I'm really hoping that I can figure out a way to sleep on the plane. I have a feeling that we'll be sleeping a lot tomorrow!

No comments: