Even though it's Friday evening, I still have work (as in work work) to do before we head up to my parents' for the long weekend. This week has been both long and extremely busy - I need the upcoming time to regroup and de-stress a little. I really like my job, but it's also easy to get frustrated by other people's time-management skills and my inability to figure out a way to account for that. And here I thought I was getting better at knowing what approaches work for different people. I'm debating whether I should go to some of the management trainings, even though I'm definitely not manager, but such a large portion of my job is working with others to get information they have that I need.
The most frustrating is when I need help from one of the higher ups and that help cannot be given because of their time constraints and being generally over-worked because of the new financial system. I always have the best of intentions, but it doesn't always work out. Another thing that I have to work on is, in addition to being accepting of missed personal deadlines, I have to not let it stress me on a subliminal level. I tend to think that situations aren't getting to me, or time pressure that I feel was unnecessary isn't stressing me out, but it is.
I have often had the experience that the previously mentioned higher-up will have a project they want me to work on and will tell me a little bit about it at some point, but won't give me any further information until a day or so before it's due. Today is a perfect example. There is a comparison the CFO wants, and today was the day that I was told to do it. The comparison is going to be used in a meeting with other department heads on Tuesday morning at 9am. Monday is a holiday, meaning I have to get this thing done today, or work on it over the weekend.
Luckily, after putting nine hours into it during the work day, I got it to a point that all I need to do know is do some mindless plugging in of information now (which is perfect to do to music). So I made the decision to take a break and bring the work home with me. It's so much better to work in cozy pajamas with good music in the background :)
After a long and somewhat stressful day, Chris surprised me with a subscription to Climbing magazine, which I'm super excited about :) I had been thinking about getting a subscription for a while, but never got around to it. I can't wait to read it this weekend!
15 February 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment