11 August 2007

Biking to work

Yesterday I biked to work. It was awesome! It was casual Friday, so I wasn't as concerned about looking presentable. And I figured that since it was Friday, and around 7:30, there likely wouldn't be as much traffic, which there wasn't. The trick was to find the bike lanes. Apparently the City of Minneapolis enjoys creating bike maps for downtown without specifying which direction the lanes are, making it a little tricky to plan out a path. Chris offered to ride with me to work though, which I appreciated very much :)

We took the U transitway to Dinkytown, then went across 94 to the Stone Arch bridge, then into downtown. The morning ride was quite nice, and since I'm not in bike shape, I ended up sweating a bunch even though it was cool temperature-wise. The ride home was a lot hotter. I think it was around 93 degrees when I was riding back, which isn't so bad I found out. I'm still not a fan of the heat, but there was a good wind which helped. On the way home, I swung by the place where Chris works, and we biked back home together.

I didn't think that I would get used to living in the city, but the longer I am here, the more I am liking it. One of the major things I love is the fact that I can take a bus or bike to and from work. It's a really cool thing, and I'm likely giving my mother a heart attack right now. Depending on the weather, I think I'm going to make the biking into work a habit on Fridays.

No comments: