I had a bad night last night: Banjo bit my foot, more specifically my big toe. Luckily I was wearing my slippers and I'm glad he didn't attack a more vital part of me, but the fact is he bit me. This situation was Kim came over to pick up Harley and I was nearly done with my dinner...but not quite. As soon as I got up to get the door, he stole the rest of it - it was french toast. I knew to let him finish the food before disciplining him because he would bite me (maybe I shouldn't have waited!).
I tried to get him in back and didn't corner him at all - I was trying to move him back to the dining room. But he thought I was backing him into a corner and after much growling, he attacked my foot. I didn't know how to react. I know I screamed his name, but going up an octave did not help the situation. The second time it was deeper and he stopped (I don't know if that's why he stopped or if he was just done).
Luckily Chris showed up almost immediately afterward from a game and he took care of it - he got Banjo into the dining room and put tubs in the entrance to the living room so Banjo couldn't get in. I spent the rest of the night crying then hiccuping then crying some more. I couldn't believe he did that to me and I couldn't help thinking I was partially to blame.
I've been in a hate-how-things-are-going-at-work kind of mood for the past couple of weeks and I haven't been doing any exercises with Banjo (things that make him realize I'm in charge, not him). And since I've been preoccupied, I haven't paid enough attention. Today, he had to walk with the short leash and I made him sit a lot. I haven't let him on the couch all day (and I've kicked him off every time he's snuck up on it). I may sound like a bitch, but I'm not beating him or abusing him. I'm putting him back in his place. He's the dog, not the boss. Pokey may disagree with that.
It still makes me incredibly sad that Banjo would react to me that way. All I've done is love the little shit and he goes and bites me. Sounds kinda like Banjo's a teenager. A sharp-teethed teenager.
Life moves on though...
24 October 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
not a bitch at all - the boss. you definitely need to let him know he messed up and where his place is :( so sorry! hope you figure it out...
Post a Comment