02 December 2008

I did something new today

I set a pie on fire.

You read that right. I was putting the finishing touches on a crunchy pumpkin pie which required broiling, and I placed the pie too close to the top of the oven. It caught fire which was quite a sight. Mom, you'll get a picture soon.

The reason I made the pie in the first place was because I was making a thank-you dinner for Connie and Steve (and Maggie!) for helping me when I got LASIK surgery. It was not my intention to present them with something burnt, but it happens. Luckily, only the topping was destroyed and we scrapped it off and enjoyed the pumpkin pie underneath.

Lesson learned.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We'll have to put you in charge of baking the cookies this year. :-)

Anonymous said...

How did the rest of the meal go? We all have stories like this to tell. Love Mom

Anonymous said...

This experience will make for a REALLY GOOD story to tell later...and we have pics for the Holiday TV slide show. All in all, after we scraped off the top, it was the best tasting pumpkin pie ever! Maybe now the family will forget the Christmas that I broiled our turkey for 4 hours instead of baking it. I guess Mom is right, there is nothing like a good cooking disaster to start the conversation rolling.