I've been frustrated from time to time, as anyone who knows me well can attest to, but today at work I wanted to scream. I've been working on a project basically since I started as an intern, and the end is finally in sight. In order for this project to go any further, we need to finalize all of our numbers and projections and be able to completely document and back those numbers up. So I called a meeting with two people I've worked very closely with regarding this project in hopes of finalizing some of the numbers.
The 1 hour meeting turned into 2 1/2 hours, and we are no nearer to finalizing than we were a few months ago. The whole reason is because they weren't ready to deal with all of the work that this is going to take. I completely understand it because that's the reason why no one else had done this update before. I also understand because I'm a procrastinator and tend not to do things until the last minute. The reason this is so frustrating is because our meeting today is what I've been trying to get them to do for the past four months, and now they tell me that other people need to make decisions before we can go any further.
This is a good lesson that needed to be learned, and I'm certain that I will relive it over and over throughout my career. I know this, but it doesn't make it suck any less.
11 January 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Murphy was an optimist!
Welcome to the real world! You have the eagles and you have the turkeys - it is hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by a bunch of turkeys. Just keep doing the best you can and don't be afraid to always give 110% - it will pay off in the end.
Post a Comment