20 May 2012

Aventures in Gardening

Last week, I did a lot of yard work.  I finally mulched the pathway I "created" last fall (by created I mean, threw down round pavers...ta da!).  I also finally mulched around the ash tree in the back, got the strawberry patch completely planted both at our house and at Chris's parents' house, and started weeding and mulching the front.

Here are some pictures:
This is the raised bed Chris built excitedly, including a cover to keep the damn squirrels and chipmunks away from our berries!  The cover is hinged on top, so it can be opened from either side (brilliant!)
 

While I was weeding around the bird feeder post, I saw a few sunflowers starting to grow from the thousands of sunflower seeds the birds kick from the feeder. 


The most time-consuming part of the weekend was mulching, and it was worth it.
  

We finally tried the Egyptian Walking Onions I got last year from our next-door neighbor.  They were quite tasty (similar to large green onions).  I am quite impressed with how easily they grow - I got a handful of them last year and now I have many plants, with more on the way!

This is not how I would recommend eating them however...

1 comment:

daddYman said...

Your yard is gorgeous.