28 February 2011

Back from the Land of Warmth

We're back! Banjo couldn't be more excited :) I haven't seen him run around our room that many times before - lots of excitement to burn off!

We had a great time, due to Klink and Klinkette (thank you!!!). They showed us all around Lake Jackson, including the beach, alligators, and crazy Mardi Gras people in Galveston. Luckily, all of those things were not in the same location.

We went to Brazos Bend State Park on Saturday to see some alligators. I've never been anywhere that big flesh-eating mammals were not behind some kind of enclosure! Thrilling and kind of terrifying at the same time! The alligators really didn't move, so I shouldn't have been nervous, but I've seen how fast they can move from watching Nature. Good thing was they were trying to soak up whatever warmth they could get through the clouds, and the largest one was very far away. Very cool sights.

We went to the Mardi Gras parade in Galveston. It was so foggy that condensation collected in our hair when we were walking along the beach beforehand! We were in the prime area to see the fireworks, but we could barely see them because of the fog. I've never seen anything like it! It was actually pretty cool to see the way the colors lit up the sky. The parade was very fun and included the Budweiser clydesdales! Those are some massive horses!

We hung out at the beach on Sunday. Luckily the fog was somewhat diminished so we could see the waves coming in. Even though it was cloudy, I managed to get a little bit of sunburn (oops). It was fun to see their dog Walter chasing balls into the ocean. Made me wonder what Banjo would think of the ocean...

I didn't eat anything too adventurous, although I ate fried crab in the shape of the crab. A bit off-putting. (I originally accidentally said clam...don't know why) I resisted the donut french toast (I felt like continuing to live).

Overall, it was great to get away. Makes me want to be able to take longer trips and especially makes me want to explore some more parks.

3 comments: