Hello to all who took home one of the centerpieces from our wedding! I have received a number of questions from you about how to take care of succulents. I honestly had no bloody clue - this was the first time I'd ever had succulents! One thing that's happened to at least a couple of people that I know of is the plant grew really tall with the leaves spaced far apart and has now fallen over. Case in point:

What to do??? I started researching online. Apparently the reason the plant does this is because it's not getting enough light (hard to believe in a place like Minnesota). This is your opportunity to create more plants! I found a great how-to guide on
Instructables.com with pictures on how to create more plants and what the plants will look like. I've already created a plant from a leaf off my succulent, which was really cool to see it grow. One thing I did differently: I stuck the leaf in dirt soon after breaking it off the original plant instead of drying it out for three days. It took a while to start growing because of the low winter light, but it was really fun to see it grow!
One other important tip that I just learned: if your succulents leaves are turning yellow and drying up, try watering it less. I thought before that that's just what these plants did, but I was apparently wrong and am guilty of this too. To show you how little water these plants need, I only watered my hens and chicks twice this entire winter!
Good luck and let me know how things are growing!
No comments:
Post a Comment