11 November 2008

Migraines: Help Wanted


As many of you know, I get migraines. I have been keeping a journal of all of my migraines since the end of June this year in order to figure out some common links or triggers so that I can figure out how to treat them. I have already talked to my doctor this year about the migraines and he prescribed Midrin, which made me even more nauseous than the migraines do. I've found that my body cannot handle much caffeine, which has caused me to stop trying Excedrin.

Overall I have found that the drugs that I have tried don't really work because the migraine will usually come on in the afternoon one day and carry on until the afternoon or evening of the following day. I get so nauseous that I can't do much of anything besides lay in a darken room and wait for it to pass. I'm lucky in that I don't have any changes to my vision and sounds don't really bother me, but any kind of light is blinding and I tend to have a heightened sense of smell.

I've been researching more on the Internet about the condition itself and I've found that nobody really knows too terribly much at this point. I found out that I shouldn't be a woman because there is a higher percentage of adult women that get migraines and it's linked with periods. Awesome.

I'm wondering if any of you have had migraines and have found that certain treatments work for you, and I'm hoping that you will share. Do any of you know of good resources that I should look into for more information? Thanks in advance!

1 comment:

gina said...

are yours linked to your cycle? maybe you could try one of the seasonal birth controls... like seasonale/seasonique, which would minimize the incidences?