28 April 2008

Reflections

Now that I've had a few more hours to think about how things went yesterday, I'm feeling a lot better about ducking out of the ride early. I have been pushing myself to ride at the same speed Chris can, which is not smart since Chris does not have problems with asthma like I do. Add allergies and I'm in bad shape.

By doing these sorts of activities, I'm learning a lot about myself. I've learned that no matter what gradient it is, any incline is a hill for me. Yesterday I struggled through many rolling hills, many of which kept going and going and going.....I wasn't mentally prepared for rolling hills. Most people I talked to about the ride told me that it was long, but it wasn't difficult. Clearly none of them have problems with asthma! I have to do more research about topography on my own rather than relying on the words of people who are in shape.

Being on a structured ride was great for the fact that you didn't have to carry tons of food and you always knew where the next indoor bathroom would be. It was inspiring to see all of the other riders too, although I envisioned myself lassoing a towrope on to each one that passed me (there were a lot of people who passed me).

I'm taking it easy today. Mentally unwinding. The one regret I have is putting climbing on the back burner. I don't think I've gone for a couple of weeks! I really miss climbing with Chris, who now is ready to climb again, but is on his way to Texas for a conference and a visit with friends. Soon I will be back on the rock...