For those who don't know, I presented at the national conference for GFOA in Atlanta (that's the Government Finance Officers Association - the club for government finance nerds). I was extremely nervous given that this was my first time presenting at a national conference of anything and because I was presenting in front of a few hundred people. Yikes!
It has been an incredible experience to come to Atlanta, and I've temporarily forgotten how crappy my job can be. I am incredibly honored that my boss and the higher-ups asked me to give the presentation (granted it's because the Controller of the City was originally asked, but when he told his wife about it, she reminded him he had a family vacation planned that weekend, so to ensure they wouldn't need a divorce lawyer, he asked if I could do it).
I've gotten a lot of really positive comments from people and someone stopped me at the even tonight and asked if I presented and told me what a great job I did. Man it feels good! I feel so happy!
Toastmasters certainly helped and I was surprised at how much less nervous I was for this presentation. My mouth still got a bit dry and I stumbled on some words, but overall, I felt pretty calm. I guess that's what happens when you know the subject inside and out!
I've met some really great people at the conference, and hope that I'll see them again sometime. For now, I'll focus on getting some sleep before my flight tomorrow morning.
Thank you to everyone for your support! The good vibes reached me!
08 June 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
yay! total rockstar :)
I figured you could do it. Congrats
Post a Comment