After a great weekend at home with my parents and Pokey, I was reminded of how much I want a dog. I want someone to get so excited when I get home, they pee (and I definitely don't want that someone to be Chris).
I'm so torn though because we live in an apartment with no grass in the backyard (it's beat-up tar). I have a feeling that this apartment would not be the best environment for the type of dog I want to get given the size of the apartment, the backyard issue and I would not want to have to put a shock collar on the dog to prevent it from barking. I also don't want to upset the neighbors. However, I'm home a lot and there are parks and trails nearby.
There's also the fact that we would need to find someone to take care of the dog when we were gone or we would only really be going places that were nearby that we could drive to and were dog-friendly.
Chris and I have talked about it and it is understood that I would be the one taking care of the dog since Chris has a busy schedule. I had originally convinced myself I was going to wait until we got a house to get a dog, but I have an intense desire to get one now. Does anyone have any ideas for me on how to solve this dilemma?
16 February 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
1. Small dogs tend to bark more than large dogs.
2. One more grand-dog more or less is not a killer.
3. Life is what happens while you are trying to plan life.
while i agree with #3, above, i will say that doggy door + fenced yard = sanity saver. so i may not be a huge help ;) but you're welcome to come hang out for a weekend (or an evening) and get a doggy fix; we'll have both for the majority of the next month or two...
Harley's not cutting it eh? I have a busy schedule as you know but I do OK with Harlington. I can't imagine not having him. He keeps me sane -relatively speaking. Walking 3x day vs. letting the dog out on his own isn't as bad as you'd think.
What if you move and they don't allow pets? Would you be able to give it up - not fair to the dog. They are a lot of work and money. Love Mom
Post a Comment